Productivity apps moved quickly to the cloud, outpacing a clear understanding of what a comprehensive security solution should be. A classic: cloud first/security second problem. To correct this, security professionals should be asking these five critical cloud security questions:
- Can I accurately detect all sensitive data in my organization, does the offering support all detection technologies such as OCR or form recognition technologies?
- Do I understand the risk each and every user presents with regard to data loss?
- Do I have superior visibility and can I secure all the data in sanctioned and unsanctioned apps?
- Is there an easier way to manage my DLP policies across all channels, web, cloud and email and avoid wasting effort in policy duplication?
- Can I detect various types of malware and protect against threats in the cloud?
How do you solve these five critical cloud security questions?
Expand on the capabilities available in Symantec Data Loss Prevention Cloud. It is recognized as one of the most comprehensive cloud and data security products in the market today, as recently acknowledged by Forrester.
1. Can I accurately detect all sensitive data in my organization, does the offering support all detection technologies such as OCR or form recognition technologies?
By integrating CASB with Data Loss Prevention, Symantec DLP Cloud brings deep content inspection and comprehensive detection technologies including OCR, Scalable EDM, and advanced fingerprinting detection. It also uses context analysis to provide an understanding of the location, movement, and exposure of sensitive data, so you can prevent data leaks and exfiltration attempts within Office 365.
2. Do I understand the risk each and every user presents with regard to data loss?
Symantec CASB continuously monitors risks like data loss, use of unsanctioned applications, malware, device security posture and compromised accounts. This allows us to identify and tackle risks, before it’s too late. It gathers frequent data from cloud applications via its API integrations (Securlets), endpoints and gateway integrations (Gatelets). We apply risk scores to users and if they go over a certain threshold determined by the admin, adaptive access controls are in place to either reduce someone’s access privileges, reduce privileges for sharing data, and prevent data from being shared with external entities.
And Symantec Data Loss Prevention Cloud just got better. We are pleased to announce that we now provide content inspection support for MS Teams through the Microsoft 0365 API Securlet. We can now scan messages and DLP policies can be extended to MS Teams and apply appropriate remediation actions to protect from data loss/exfiltration.
3. Do I have superior visibility and can I secure all the data in sanctioned and unsanctioned apps?
With Symantec DLP Cloud, you gain deep transaction visibility in order to control Shadow IT. Because we know risky transactions can slip “under the radar”, we provide the capability to collect, view, and control all transactions from sanctioned or unsanctioned apps, with options for managed and unmanaged devices. API integrations and inline traffic analysis is used to monitor and control use of sanctioned SaaS platforms. Risk scoring is provided for over 37,000 apps using hundreds of security mechanisms, compliance certifications, and other metrics.
4. Is there an easier way to manage my DLP policies across all channels, web, cloud and email and avoid wasting effort in policy duplication?
Creating the policy rule set to protect this data from scratch is labor intensive however Symantec CASB saves all this effort. Simply extend your existing Symantec DLP policies to your managed cloud environment, ensuring consistent protection and compliance posture.
Simple integrated policy creation and maintenance workflows dramatically reduce our customers’ cost of ownership over time.
Using the Microsoft 0365 integration, the following actions are available:
- Scan and review documents in OneDrive and Sharepoint Sites, Emails, and messages in Teams for sensitive content and malware
- Create policies for remediation such as removing sharing permissions, quarantining files with sensitive data, prevent users from accessing, downloading, uploading or sharing documents with unauthorized parties, blocking sensitive messages in Teams
- Review alerts and incidents
5. Can I detect various types of malware and protect against threats in the cloud?
Cloud Malware is on the rise. Recent reports put the amount of malware delivered via the cloud at 61%, while malicious Office docs were used in 43% of all malware downloads, up from 20% a year ago. It’s fundamental now for every organization to have a comprehensive set of threat protection capabilities. This includes technologies like file reputation, file scanning, and sandboxing to detect malware hidden in data and documents that live in the cloud. Symantec DLP Cloud does this.
Symantec DLP Cloud is CASB and DLP working in tandem, providing a single control point from which security teams can configure DLP policies that secure SaaS apps, control access to web destinations, identify shadow IT and prevent malware.
We encourage you to share your thoughts on your favorite social platform.